Friday 31 August 2012

Welcome Author Malla Duncan


GENRE and INDIVIDUALITY

Firstly, my grateful thanks to Jeanette Hornby, a highly competent romance writer, for inviting me to post on her blog.

I suppose writers reflect their individuality in the way they write and the genres they choose to write in. I have always wanted to write scary stories from about the age of seven when I discovered the power of written words and how I could control them. I wanted desperately to tell stories but at that stage, I had no idea what they would be. I had two favourite sentences which I was convinced would fit into a story at some stage of my life. They were: The door burst open – and – There was a terrible scream.

So it’s not surprising I became a thriller writer. I write essentially for women readers but not romance. My books are chick chillers but not chick lit. I fit the old women-in-jeopardy genre: women’s psychological mystery suspense thrillers. Bit of a mouthful but the best description I can apply. Categorization is difficult, because every book I write is different.   

I began with horror and the supernatural (now called paranormal) and all I wanted to do was scare the reader to death. Gradually, I turned to the subtlety of the psychological story. I enjoyed creating mystery and suspense. I was intrigued by the intricacies of the thriller, the creation of twists and turns which led the reader on, always keeping little secrets tucked away to be revealed at exactly the right moment. I got a tremendous kick out of the way a mystery thriller is constructed. I read and studied other writers in the genre until I learned method, style and pace. And avowed to never be boring, never drag a story, never cheat the reader. I would keep every word, every page relevant. I learned that if a page of writing does not move the story forward, it dies.  

Writing is the hardest and longest apprenticeship anyone can choose to do. When it is your life, and is with you always, you are permanently learning. But that is the compulsion, the magnet. Writing creates new horizons everyday and that is why, as a writer, you will always travel further. To see the next view.

For more information on my books, please visit my Smashwords Author Page

Alternatively, find my books on Amazon:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Jeanette's 4-stars-plus book montage

An Offer He Can't Refuse
Emily's Affair
Taste
Rough Harbor
The Chosen One
Runaway Heart
Bared to You
Melodies of the Heart
Fifty Shades Freed
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades of Grey
Anon
Somewhere in Time
House Guest
A Cop, His Wife and Her Best Friend
Hero Of Her Heart
All In Time
Asking for Andre
Almost a Bride
The Fence My Father Built


Jeanette Hornby's favorite books »

Jeanette's bookshelf: diversity

In Love With Death
3 of 5 stars true
I liked the authors take on the Angel of Death and enjoyed learning about the individual characters. The story was interesting and I liked the way the author simplified the subject matter. With a little more editing and polishing, this ...
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now and diversity
An Offer He Can't Refuse
4 of 5 stars true
A thoroughly enjoyable tale. I liked the characters and the situation they were in. A good read for romance lovers.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, diversity, and favourites
All In Time
4 of 5 stars true
An interesting and enjoyable story. I would have liked the unique events to unravel slower and continue longer, but overall, the tale was quite engrossing. A good read.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, and diversity
Bloodtrail
4 of 5 stars true
An intricately woven vampire tale that keeps you wanting more. The historical and scientific content was unique and engrossing. I particularly liked the way the author separated each character's story in the beginning and then tied the...
tagged: diversity, 4-stars, and from-dec-2011-to-now
House Guest
4 of 5 stars true
A short, creepy and enthralling story. The development of the main character and situation was strangely enjoyable. A good read.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, and diversity

goodreads.com