Wednesday 23 January 2013

WIP Into Shape



My current WIP is in the final editing stages.  I hope.  I’m up to the sixth draft but I think there are another two on the way.

I am ridding the story of the unnecessary ‘he said, she said, he watched, she saw’ etc, hoping for a better flow of words and events.

‘Grapevines and Gum Trees’ will be my fourth published novel and I’ve learnt so much along the way.  I don’t think a writer ever stops learning.  Trends and writing styles change with the times as does technology, particularly in the publishing and marketing of books as we see now with the arrival of ebooks. 

Hopefully, though, a good story remains as such.

My story is set in the mid-eighties, in the small country town of Yarloop, in the area in which I live.  Why did I choose this era? 

Some of you may know that Australia’s mining industry has grown and prospered in the last few years.  Unfortunately, there are often dire consequences to the expansion of mining and industry.

Yarloop has undergone some tremendous changes since the time of the book’s setting and I wanted to showcase the area as it was.  There are some great memories embedded there.


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your edits - hope the new book goes well. Just checking in from the WLC blogger connection. Hope you can follow mine over at http://gallo-romano.co.uk/news/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to read that someone else does many edits. I found your great blog through the WLC Blog Follows on the World Literary Cafe! Great to connect!

    ReplyDelete

Jeanette's 4-stars-plus book montage

An Offer He Can't Refuse
Emily's Affair
Taste
Rough Harbor
The Chosen One
Runaway Heart
Bared to You
Melodies of the Heart
Fifty Shades Freed
Fifty Shades Darker
Fifty Shades of Grey
Anon
Somewhere in Time
House Guest
A Cop, His Wife and Her Best Friend
Hero Of Her Heart
All In Time
Asking for Andre
Almost a Bride
The Fence My Father Built


Jeanette Hornby's favorite books »

Jeanette's bookshelf: diversity

In Love With Death
3 of 5 stars true
I liked the authors take on the Angel of Death and enjoyed learning about the individual characters. The story was interesting and I liked the way the author simplified the subject matter. With a little more editing and polishing, this ...
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now and diversity
An Offer He Can't Refuse
4 of 5 stars true
A thoroughly enjoyable tale. I liked the characters and the situation they were in. A good read for romance lovers.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, diversity, and favourites
All In Time
4 of 5 stars true
An interesting and enjoyable story. I would have liked the unique events to unravel slower and continue longer, but overall, the tale was quite engrossing. A good read.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, and diversity
Bloodtrail
4 of 5 stars true
An intricately woven vampire tale that keeps you wanting more. The historical and scientific content was unique and engrossing. I particularly liked the way the author separated each character's story in the beginning and then tied the...
tagged: diversity, 4-stars, and from-dec-2011-to-now
House Guest
4 of 5 stars true
A short, creepy and enthralling story. The development of the main character and situation was strangely enjoyable. A good read.
tagged: from-dec-2011-to-now, 4-stars, and diversity

goodreads.com